As a drone pilot, you need to do everything you can to protect your investment.
We put a lot of time, money, and love into our rigs. Losing one because of a flyaway or accidental loss of control should never happen, yet it’s one of the most common occurrences when flying a drone.
Your drone can get lost for any one of these reasons:
- Lost connection between the controller and the drone
- Defective battery
- Radio interference
- Strong winds
- Faulty firmware
- Faulty GPS data
- Software issues
- And much more
Most of the time, it’s not even the pilot’s fault. It can happen to anybody, no matter your expertise or level of preparation.
To give yourself piece of mind and an easy way to find your drone if any of this does happen, you should strongly consider buying a drone tracker.
GPS Drone Trackers – How to Find Your Lost Drone
A drone tracker is a small, lightweight device that attaches to your quadcopter, hexacopter, or other type of drone rig. It emits a GPS signal that’s received by an external device with its location plotted on a map.
This allows you to track where your drone is at all times. Modern trackers come with an accompanying app so you can find where the drone is using your mobile device.
This is by far the easiest way to protect against losing your drone.
Below, we’ve outlined the best drone trackers for sale in 2018. Check out the table below for a quick overview or scroll down to start from the beginning.
Table of the Best Drone Trackers
Trackimo is widely regarded as the best drone tracker on the market. It is competitively priced and the company has extensive experience providing tracking services for other industries as well.
The tracking device itself is very lightweight (at 1.4 ounces). This means it won’t weigh down your drone or interfere with flight. It’s also easy to attach and stays on snuggly, with their specially designed accessory and attachment kit.
The tracking system comes with a mobile app that can be used to track your drone in real time. And the drone uses cellular data (rather than WiFi or bluetooth) so it works worldwide wherever there is a GSM reception.
Trackimo is by far one of the best all-around solutions available.
- Lightweight – 1.4 ounces
- 96 hours of battery life
- Real time tracking of your drone
- Easy to attach
- Uses cellular data (rather than WiFi or bluetooth) so it works worldwide
- Mobile device and PC compatible (any device that can surf the web)
- Mobile app available
- Low annual service cost
- Flat price for the device and attachment kit
- Yearly cellular service fee
- Free 1st year of GPS service, $5/mo after
2. Flytrex Live 3G
Flytrex is another excellent option for tracking your drone. But it’s a lot more than a drone tracker.
Flytrex offers live tracking of your drone, and their Last Seen tool allows you to find where your drone went down.
The drone comes with a tailor-made adapter for specific drone models (chosen at checkout). It is mobile device compatible using their mobile app, and you can see your live flight telemetry data with a Google Map path overlay as you fly.
Flytrex also comes with an automatic flight logger (all flights are stored in your personal pilot profile) and a Mission Analyzer tool, which gives you detailed graphs and stats for each flight. You can also unlock badges as you improve and challenge yourself against other pilots worldwide.
Flytrex is a solid overall drone tracker and flight logging system.
- Live tracking of your drone
- Last Seen tool
- Powered by 3G
- Installation adapter tailor-made for specific drone models
- Mobile device compatible
- Mobile app available
- Share your live flight telemetry with Google Map path overlay as you fly
- Automatic flight logger – all flights are stored in your personal pilot profile
- Mission Analyzer – analyze missions with detailed graphs and stats
- Unlock badges as you improve and challenge yourself against other pilots worldwide
- One-time payment for Flytrex Live 3G and installation adapter